Sunday, November 15, 2020

1 Down and 2 To Go!

 As our first trimester comes to a close, some things you should be reflecting on are:

  • How are students doing with catching up to where they should be right now?
  • Am I assessing as often as I should be? 
  • Am I using a variety of assessments, not just publisher tests?
  • Are my students working to their potential?
  • Are my students aware of how they are doing?
  • Am I taking care of myself? 
I would like to share a concern I have with assessments and I'm going to focus on one subject.  My concern is are we eliminating types of assessments because of social distancing? Are we doing fewer projects because students can't be too close?  I have seen group activities happening so my hope is this really is not the case. However, in speaking with a few teachers about what they are doing in religion, I feel that there is too much dependence on the publisher's tests.  Some are not even using the assessment book but using the chapter reviews as a test.  The "test" in the book should be a practice for the actual assessment.  I can also tell you that the publisher tests for religion are not very good and in order for students to do well, you have to teach to the test.  Religion is a great opportunity for project-based learning and would better show students' understanding.  Service-learning would also provide opportunities to show what they know and how they live their faith.  If you feel a test is necessary, think about creating your own that really highlights what is important for them to know.  Religion should be taught in units, not chapters.  When I say units, I don't mean the unit organization in the book.  I mean a unit on Baptism, a unit on the Mass, a unit on the journey's of Paul, a unit on the Beatitudes, etc.  You get the idea and each unity should have an assessment.  When you teach this way, it will become easier to see opportunities for performance assessments and projects.  If you ever want ideas let me know and I'd be happy to help.  Remember, we have new standards this year for religion that you should be using and the textbook is only a resource, not the curriculum.  During your PLC meetings Monday after school, it might be a good time to look at how you are all assessing students in general.  Gina will have more instructions for your PLC meeting on Monday.

Friday will be a jean day and noon dismissal.  Please let Gina and I know your plans for Friday and when your class will have their Move Together reward.  Good luck with your conferences and please know that parents appreciate everything you are doing right now.  Also, know that Gina and I think you are all superstars!  For this, I am not only talking about teachers.  I think this year more than ever, we can see what it truly means to work at St. Stephen.  We are a family and together we are journeying through this very crazy year.  

Have a great week!            







No comments:

Post a Comment

School's Out For Summer!

 These will be the words I will be singing down the hall on Friday.  While it's been a great school year in many ways, I will not be sad...