Sunday, August 21, 2016

Getting Down to Business

Lets-get-down-to-business.gif (500×180)


Hopefully by now the dust has settled and we are ready to get down to business.  Not too much is happening this week which is a good thing.  We should be focusing on curriculum this week.  The only item on the calendar is picture day on Tuesday.  All students should wear their regular uniform.  If they have PE, check with Coach to see if he wants them to bring the PE uniform to change.  We start with PK3 and Kindergarten.  After that we will not necessarily go in order.  I will work around PE classes and take grades 5-8 before 1-4 if possible so they will be done before their lunch.


I looked through Unit Plans this weekend and I do want to commend everyone for incorporating faith values into your unit plans.  I noticed that in the unit plans I did look at.  However, some unit plans are considerably sparse... some pretty empty...  By now you should have your curriculum mapped out for the year for most classes you teach.  This can be adjusted as you go, but it gives you a framework to ensure that all power standards are covered.  I will focus on specific areas each week.  This week I am focusing on ELA and will meet with teachers individually and in groups to discuss best practices for unit planning.  Next week I will focus on Math.  Remember you MUST have your lessons for the week posted each Monday by 8 a.m.  At the very least I should see this for all classes.  It is difficult to teach well when you do not have a plan.  Also keep in mind that you should have your summative assessment created before you start making lesson plans.  
Middle_School_Rocks_pic.jpg (420×420)
I'm sure everyone rocks this week, but I saw something on the Middle School calendar that made me sooooo happy I wanted to share with everyone.  One of the difficulties we had last year in our move to Standards Based Grading was having enough assessments at the end of the quarter.  I looked at my calendar today and I saw all sorts of assessments planned for middle school this week.  Go Middle School teachers!!!  Remember units do not have to be long.  Break them up and have 2-3 summative assessments.  Don't wait and find yourself with one summative at the end of the quarter.  That is not a good picture of how a student is truly performing.

god-s-love-clipart-god-is-love-001-gif-BuvFWJ-clipart.gif (500×456)
Enough said.  Keep spreading the love.  I have had many parents share how happy they are with our message of love and they see it in all your classrooms.  This has been an amazing start and I pray we keep it going.  Have a fantastic week.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

School's Out For Summer!

 These will be the words I will be singing down the hall on Friday.  While it's been a great school year in many ways, I will not be sad...