Sunday, September 20, 2020

Saying Goodbye to Summer

Tuesday, Sept. 22 is the Autumnal Equinox signifying the end of summer in the Northern Hemisphere.  However, for us Florida folks, we may need to wait for the Winter Solstice to really say goodbye to summer weather.  

After a few brutal weeks of PE outside in the heat, I met with Coach Green and we decided to try classes in the FLC.  Our class sizes are small and the gym is big and it seems to be going well.  I will meet with George again this week to review and make some final decisions.  As classes start having PE in the gym again, it will mean a change in dropoff and pickup for PE.  It is difficult for George to bring a class back when the bell rings and be at the next class at the same time for pickup.  After speaking with George I will meet with each teacher this week and talk about the procedures.  Please be patient as we work through this change.  

I have been trying to make a difficult decision about Mass and how many classes should attend each week.  Most parents are happy we are attending in person but there is still some concern about cohorts crossing and how many classes attend at one time.  One school is doing virtual Mass all year, another is only allowing 1-2 classes to attend at one time.  What I believe is different for us is that the Mass is only for our students and our church can accommodate 1400 people.  We are less than 200 in grades 2-8.  For those not at the last Mass, here is a picture of what it looked like.  

  

We can easily fit 2 classes in each section.  I believe both Masses 2-5 and 6-8 were fine.  The question is, do we keep alternating? or do we all go together grades 2-8?  If we alternate, it will mean classes will have to prepare Mass more often (once every 3-4 weeks).  If we all go together, we will need to spread out more and it will require 2 EMs for each Mass.  I would have 2nd grade continue to sit on the choir side by themselves (no EM needed).  Sixth and 7th grade would sit on the other side along the church office wall and 8th grade would sit on the side of the altar.  One EM would be assigned to middle school.  I will be sending out a survey later today to see what your preferences are.  

For the next few weeks my open door, come on in, policy will need to change a bit.  I will be assisting the middle school math/science sub with lessons, assigning, grading, flexible learning students, etc.  I will also be assisting Lisa with her Flexible Learning group for 6th-grade math.  If you see my door closed, it means I'm on a google meet with students, and please come back later.  If my door is open, I'm available.  Thank you for your patience with me.  

Our Care for Creation t-shirts are in!!  The office staff will work on getting them passed out this week.  Friday, Sept. 25, is a jean day and we will ask everyone to wear their shirt.  Friday is also our first Marvelous Mustang.  If you haven't already, you will be receiving directions on how this will go.  Nicki has done a great job organizing this and she ordered rubber bracelets for our Marvelous Mustangs to wear.  

Thank you ALL for being Marvelous!  Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

School's Out For Summer!

 These will be the words I will be singing down the hall on Friday.  While it's been a great school year in many ways, I will not be sad...